Thursday, August 9, 2007 at 2:53 PMNick Fey, Google Finance designer
There are some great Finance gadgets available on iGoogle (personalized Google search page), but it can be challenging to find the best Finance gadgets. Recently the iGoogle team have introduced the 'Share tab' feature which allows you to share a whole tab of gadgets. This has allowed us to pull together a collection of some of our favorite iGoogle gadgets and share them with you. If you click on the link below you will see an invitation to create a new iGoogle tab.
Add a Google Finance recommended iGoogle tab
Go ahead and click on the blue 'Add to iGoogle' button and it will create the new tab for you with these suggested gadgets.
You should see something similar to the screenshot below.
Now every time you do a web search you can view a quick overview of the market and see what is moving and shaking in your portfolios
One enhancement I would recommend is to add some Finance RSS feeds to the Google reader gadget. If you have not used Reader yet, you have been missing out big time. The big advantage with the Reader gadget is that you can read the story right on your iGoogle page rather than having to go to another website.
To set up your Reader gadget just follow these quick steps:
1. Click on the 'Google Reader' gadget title which is a link to the Google Reader main page.
2. Click on the 'Browse >>' link in the green 'Add subscription' box.
3. Ignore the 'Fun' group for now (there will be time for fun later) and follow the 'More bundles' link.
4. You can click on the 'subscribe' icon in the Finance group which will add a bundle of Finance RSS feeds to Reader in one go.
5. You are all done! Head back to your new iGoogle page and take a look at the updated Reader gadget.
If you don't like any of the RSS feeds you can click on the 'Google Reader' title again and remove them from the list. There are plenty more feeds out there that you may prefer and they are easy to search for and add to your reading list. Try adding http://googlefinanceblog.blogspot.com/ and you can see when there is a new post to this blog.
The Finance team is busy building useful new gadgets and we are also building tools to enable you to easily make your own Finance gadgets to share with the Google Finance community. We will let you know when we get some cool new stuff to check out. As always, we encourage you to leave comments with any suggestions for what you would like to see.